Saturday, September 8, 2012
Fuel and exhaust systems – K-Jetronic fuel injection – 16 valve engines
The components of the K-Jetronic fuel injection system fitted to the 1.8 litre 16V engine are as shown (see illustrations). All procedures are the same as described in Part B of this Chapter except for those given in the following Sections.
2 Idle speed – adjustment
1. Run the engine to normal operating temperature, then check that all electrical components are switched off. Note that the electric cooling fan must not be running during the adjustment procedure.
2. Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose (see illustration).
3. Connect a tachometer and an exhaust gas analyser to the engine.
4. If the injector pipes have been removed and refitted just prior to adjustment, run the engine to 3000 rpm several times then allow it to idle for at least two minutes.
5. Check that when the ignition is switched on, the idling stabilisation control valve is heard to buzz. If not, check the system with reference to Section 3.
6. Disconnect the wiring plug for the idle stabilisation system. This is located near the ignition coil (see illustration).
7. Allow the engine to idle, then check that the idle speed is 1000 ± 50 rpm. If necessary, remove the cap and turn the idle speed adjustment screw as required (see illustration).